I just got this 8 quart Instant Pot a few months ago and have been totally obsessed ever since! Never go back to making broth on the stove ever again!! The first chicken broth I made in our new instant pot turned out so rich and delicious in such a short amount of time i almost cried tears of joy 😭 it took only 1 hours and no refilling water or standing guard near the hot stoves required! The wonderful thing even knows to turn off and keep warm by itself! This will save us quite a bit on the electricity bill i think! 🤔 I’m getting rid of the two slow cookers I have cuz there’s no chance I will be using them again! 🤣 Let me know if there’s any Vietnamese dish you like to make with IP and i’ll look into it!
Sparerib soup is one of our favorite comfort soup! Fall off the bone tender ribs in flavorful broth with potatoes and carrots is the most popular combination, especially with children. Sometimes i add cabbage and cannellini beans in as well! As a kid, i used to get super excited whenever my Mom said she’s going to add beans to potato carrot soup! Mmm tender tasty creamy little white beans, so good!!
You want the soup base to be well salted so the spareribs will come out flavorful. Once you make this soup base, whatever veggies you add in after will absorb the flavor and taste really delicious! Winter squash, cabbage, mustard greens are a few of my favorites!
Note: It’s a bit cumbersome having to release the pressure, add veggies then bring it back again. But meat and veggies require different cooking times and if everything is added at once, by the time the meat is tender, the veggies will be mush! I like a bit of texture in my veggies. If you like yours really tender, you can add veggies in with the spareribs at the begining.
I added pasta along with veggies in the video but i will leave it out and cook it separately next time. It soaked up a lot of broth and make the broth cloudy as well.
- 2 lbs flanken style pork spareribs cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp sugar in the raw (optional)
- 3 shallots slightly smashed
- 6 cups water
- 2 carrots cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 large potatoes cut into 1.5 inch pieces
- 8 oz pasta (i use GF pennes)
- Fried shallots
- 2 spring onions chopped
- 5-6 cilantro sprigs chopped
- Bring about 8 cups of water to a rapid boil. Add in spareribs and blanch for 3 mins. Rinse ribs clean and add to instant pot with 6 cups of water. Season with fish sauce, salt, sugar and smashed shallots. Cook on high pressure for 20 mins.
- Manually release the pressure, add in potatoes, carrots (and pasta if you don't want to cook it separately). Cook on high pressure for 7 mins.
- Let the pressure release naturally. Taste and add more fish sauce or salt if needed. Add fried shallots.
- Sprinkle on chopped spring onions, cilantro and extra fried shallots when served.