This delicious and summery salad is simply full of flavor and texture! A burst of sweet, salty and tangy goodness in every bite! It’s one of Vietnamese most popular salad dish and served at almost every Vietnamese party and ceremony.
Pickled lotus stems/rootlets add a refreshing crunch to this dish! It is mild in flavor and pairs well with the sweet and spicy fish sauce! You can find these sold in glass jars at Asian supermarkets in the pickled vegetable aisle.
Although this salad is traditionally made with pork and shrimp, you can also use chicken or any other meat you like! I only had pork belly at the moment so that’s what I used but leaner cut like pork loin or shoulder is better. If you’re making this for a party, prep all the veggies and make the fish sauce mix in advance. These keep well in the fridge and you just need to mix everything together right before serving!
- 8 oz shrimp
- 8 oz pork (pork loin or shoulder)
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 jar of pickled lotus rootlet/stem in brine
- Red and green bell peppers
- 2 tsp sugar (sugar in the raw)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar (or regular white vinegar)
- Sweet and sour fish sauce mix
- Vietnamese coriander, mint or Thai basil
- Roasted peanuts
- Fried shallots
- Sesame rice crackers or prawn chips
- Cut carrot into matchsticks, mix in sugar, salt and vinegar. Set aside for 15-20 mins.
- Drain the lotus stems and discard the brine. Slice lengthwise in half or quarter.
- Thinly slice bell peppers.
- Place the pork in a small pot and fill with just enough water to cover. Season with 1 tsp salt. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 mins. Transfer pork to an ice bath.
- In the same pot, bring the broth back to a boil, add in shrimp. Cook til shrimp turn pink, about 2 mins. Add shrimp to the same ice bath with the pork to cool.
- Peel shrimp and cut in half if they're larger than bite size.
- Slice pork into thin strips.
- Prepare rice crackers or prawn chips according to the intruction on the package.
- Drain carrot and discard the brine.
- Put carrot, lotus stems, bell peppers, shrimp, pork and mint in a large mixing bowl. Pour over ½ cup of sweet and sour fish sauce and mix well. Transfer to a serving plate, sprinkle on fried shallots and roasted peanuts. Serve with prawn chips and extra sweet and sour fish sauce on the side.